Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Emma Kate's Accident - Bloc Party

Emma Kate's Accident on last.fm

While this isn't my favorite Bloc Party song, it is one of the most meaningful to me. Before I even comprehended what the lyrics were saying, I connected with the instrumentals. This track is a good deal slower and low key than the majority of Bloc's other tracks.

The song opens with acoustic guitar, which helps make the song feel more personal. The other instruments come in and blend well, the drums and bass providing a steady rhythm, and the accompanying guitar adding itself in gently. For the song doesn't change much as it progresses, but it doesn't feel like it needs to.

Now onto the lyrics. After listening to the song a few times I realized that it was about domestic abuse. This is actually a fairly sensitive issue for me, as I have a relative who has experienced it firsthand. The lyrics reflect what I actually saw in the situation. Trying to make excuses, trying to cover up for the other person involved, trying to cling onto something that just isn't healthy. And it also touches on the fact that the victim isn't really lying to the observer, they are lying to themselves.

Even without the lyrics or the personal connection, this is a very good track. One that you can just close your eyes, and let yourself drift away to.


No comments:

Post a Comment